A further six environmental groups will receive funds made available annually through the Yealands Wines Marlborough Sustainability Initiative (YSI) to support their inspiring efforts to improve fresh water quality, preserve sensitive natural areas, and protect biodiversity in the Marlborough district.
• Taimate Trust – Lake Elterwater
Restoration of native vegetation to Marlborough’s 2nd largest freshwater wetland, identified as a Significant Natural Area (SNA).
• Peter Mathyssen - Hinepango Drive Wetland, Rarangi
Restoration of Significant Wetland W55 through clearing invasive weeds and planting native vegetation.
• East Coast Protection Group - Predator Control East Coast
Increased trapping of introduced predators along Marlborough’s east coast to protect endangered shoreline birds and native lizards.
• Rainbow Sports Club Inc. – Saving Kea from Lead
Protecting kea near the Nelson Lakes from lead poisoning by replacing the nails, paint and flashing on the club’s roof with colour steel.
• Kaiuma Park Services Ltd. – Kaiuma Bay Pest Control and Replanting
Development of a small community garden to propagate native plants to restore the foreshore and encourage the return of native birds.
• The Throne – Mary’s Wetland
Transformation of circa. 13 hectares of potential wetland through extensive native plantings.
Congratulations to all of these groups.